- All my appointments are booked for one hour.
- Of this, usually 45-50 minutes will be hands-on treatment. Children and babies may only need 30-40 minutes.
- All children under 16 must legally be accompanied by an adult.
- If you are concerned about attending alone, please come with a family member or friend who can sit in with you.
- The initial consultation begins with your case history. Anything you disclose will remain confidential to me. This is followed by a clinical assessment, after which I will discuss my findings and where appropriate a treatment plan.
- If you consent to being treated by me, treatment usually begins during the first appointment, provided it is appropriate to do so.
- Craniosacral treatment most frequently involves lying on your back on the treatment couch; there is no need to remove any clothing except shoes. When this position is difficult, side-lying, or sitting positions may be used.
- Children and babies always remain clothed except for shoes
- The number of sessions needed varies depending on your age, medical history, and the severity and length of standing of your condition.
- 1-3 treatments may be enough to make a difference in many acute, or simple, cases.
- Serious and chronic conditions may require more regular treatment and over several months, 5-8 sessions is not unusual.
- Once you have improved, maintenance treatment is beneficial and recommended. This varies from every 1-6 months, to once a year. If your presenting condition has resolved you may not need to return unless something else happens.
- I reassess you on each visit.
- My overall intention is to make a difference to your presenting health complaint where this is possible. Initially I look for some improvement within 3 treatments; in chronic and difficult conditions, I may extend this to 5. I am unlikely to continue beyond 5 sessions if no improvement has occurred.
- It is not unusual to get a reaction during the days after a treatment, such as an increase in soreness, pain, emotional upset, or tiredness. This is called a ‘Healing reaction’. If this occurs, it normally subsides within 1-3 days. If it does not subside, or gets worse it is called an aggravation and is not expected.
- If an aggravation occurs and lasts longer than 3 days, or if your condition worsens unexpectedly, it is very important that you telephone me to let me know. In this situation it may be important to reassess you quickly and so bring forward your next appointment or put in an additional appointment. I may not charge for this.
- Should you decide to discontinue the treatment for any reason, let me know, this is OK. However please first telephone or email me to discuss your concerns. You may be experiencing ‘client resistance’. It may well be that you only need reassurance, but I also understand that the craniosacral approach does not suit everybody. You are never obliged to return for therapy, it remains your free choice.